Saturday 18 August 2012

Tomato Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Ok I normally prefer sweet breakfasts to savory ones, but these pancakes were amazing.  I’m not bragging since it’s not really my recipe.  I love quinoa but I couldn’t find quinoa in my local supermarket, only quinoa flour. I'd bought a pack and it had been sitting sadly in my cupboard along with the other flours and breakfast foods for the past month.  I tried making pancakes with it once, don't know what happened but it didn't taste right, and since then I’d just left it there. Every morning I grab the oats or the all-bran or the chocolate-bran, all right next to it, and the poor quinoa flour’s just there, untouched, unnoticed, unappreciated.  Then I stumbled upon 101 cookbook’s cottagecheese muffin recipe.
“You can use the flour of your choice in this recipe” – finally.  God knows this morning I had no patience to wait for my breakfast to bake for half an hour, so I decided to make pancakes. Plus it’s easier to ¼ the recipe and make 2 large pancakes, rather than to make 2 muffins. I had to cut down the recipe because or else I’d eat it all. That’s the problem with cooking for one. It should be easy, just cook for 2-4, like the recipe says, and then just refrigerate the rest. No, not for me, my stomach’s unfortunately a bottomless pit.  My biggest problem is portion control.  The only way to restrict myself is to cook less.
 
Like it says, use the flour of your choice, I used a combination of quinoa and oat flour.  Use whatever vegetable you have at hand. Peas, spinach, peppers, whatever you want.  You can try making a sweet version of this too.  

Adapted from 101 Cookbooks 
Serves 1
Ingredients
¼ cup flour (I used a mixture of quinoa and oat)
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, freshly grated
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ cup cottage cheese
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 tbsp water
2 large basil leaves, finely chopped
4 cherry tomatoes, diced

Method 
Mix all the dry ingredients, then mix in the cottage cheese, egg and water. Lastly fold in the basil and tomatoes.  Heat a bit of oil in a pan, in batches, pour the mixture into the pan and fry over low heat for a couple of minutes or until set and golden underneath, the flip and cook for another two minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner